Cydia is a third-party app store that offers tweaks, modifications, and other useful unofficial content for iOS users and you can install Cydia by jailbreaking with the Unc0ver app.
Cydia App Features :
This unofficial app store is packed with useful and cool features, including:
- It can only be downloaded with a jailbreak utility, not on its own
- You can download modifications and tweaks that help you to change the way your iOS device functions
- Tweaks and themes can help you change how it looks
- Stock iOS apps can be given new features and new functionality
- There are modified versions of some of the top stock apps, adding even more features and functionality
- You can download a whole host of tweaked apps and games
- Most apps, tweaks and other content is free to use, some costs just a couple of dollars to download
Frequently Asked Question :
For those who are unsure whether to use Cydia or not, cast your eye over our selection of frequently asked questions:
Is Cydia Legal to Use?
Yes, it is, in the USA anyway. In 2012 The Library of Congress voted to exempt this appstore from the DMCA copyright laws, resulting in it being legal to use. However, Apple doesn’t accept this and, should you return a jailbroken device to an Apple store for repair they will void your warranty. Just remove this app before you return it.
Is Cydia Free to Use?
Yes, it is free to install with any jailbreak. Some of the apps and tweaks may require a small payment to use but the vast majority are completely free. There are many alternatives that work without the jailbreak and these are also free but they don’t offer the same level of functionality that Cydia does.
What Does Cydia Actually Do?
It is an app store full of jailbreak tweaks and modifications, not to mention customized content. Cydia allows you to download these apps and tweaks to change the way your iOS device looks, how it functions and also change the way some of the stock apps work too. Cydia is a complete package management tool so your tweaks can be updates and managed very easily.
Can I Use Cydia without a Jailbreak?
No, you can’t. Cydia is only available with a jailbreak tool and is downloaded automatically when you install your chosen jailbreak. There are alternatives that work without a jailbreak and are free to use but they don’t offer the same experience that this app does. Have a look at our list of jailbreak alternatives to see what’s on offer.
Is Jailbreaking Safe?
Jailbreaking your device means that you are “hacking” into the security in the iOS and delving down to the root of the firmware. This allows you to do all sorts of things that Apple would never, in a million years, let you do, including downloading third-party apps and software. Provided you stick to using the official source for whichever jailbreak you choose, it is safe to do, and it is legal.
What Apps Will I Find on Cydia?
Cydia app is packed with apps and tweaks, thousands of them and these are some of the very best on offer:
- Auxo – the very best multitasking app ever and the one that Apple is the most likely to borrow for ideas
Can I Jailbreak Using Cydia Impactor?
No, Cydia Impactor is an incredibly useful tool but it isn’t a jailbreak. The tool is used for signing apps that Apple won’t sign and then sideloading them to our iOS devices without using a jailbreak. It is a very powerful tool and it works on all major desktop systems, including Mac OS X, Windows and on Linux. It can also be used on both Android and iOS devices.
How Do I Add a New Source to Cydia?
This is very simple to do. If you find a source that has tweaks that you want, simply follow the steps below to add it to Cydia:
- Open Cydia on your device
- Go to Manage > Sources and a list of current sources will appear
- Tap Edit > Add and then type the URL of the new source into the box – make sure you type it incorrectly otherwise it won’t work
- Tap Add Source and let the source install to Cydia.
- Restart Cydia and your new source is ready for you
Alternatives Apps :
There are loads of Cydia alternatives to choose from if you don’t want to jailbreak your device and two of the very best are:
TweakBox is one of the most comprehensive of all the alternatives, offering more content than any other. Download from a huge choice of modified apps, games and some Cydia tweaks and enjoy one of the most active alternative app stores ever released.
Emus4U is another fantastic alternative to Cydia, offering something different. As well as a whole host of games and apps, it also offers more in the way of tweaks including the ever-popular games emulators and is well worth downloading.
That completes our tour of Cydia. Hopefully, your questions have been answered, and your mind is set at rest. If you have any other questions, do let us know and follow us on Facebook for more updates.