WordPress 2.8 Beta 1 is released and available to download today. You are free to download it, test it and file bugs.
The lastest version is released with a lots of new features.
Here are some of the new features of WordPress 2.8 Beta 1 that will make WordPress better than before.
- New Theme Installer routines
- Add CodePress syntax highlighting to Theme and Plugin editors
- Add Documentation(function) lookup to Theme and Plugin editors
- Use “Custom Header” for menu text and revise Default theme to reflect change
- Separate Comments into a separate postbox, from Discussion postbox, on the Edit Post screen
- Don’t ask for confirmation when marking a comment as spam
- Don’t notify post author of own comments
- Allow the dashboard widgets to be arranged in up to four columns as set via the Screen Options tab
- Improved Admin icons (grey-to-transparent shadows)
- Update Blue Admin Color Scheme
- Add column “Rating” in Administration > Links > Edit
- Improve installer to help people entering wrong email addresses
- Improved Widget user interface
- Per Page option for plugins
- Move “Install a plugin in .zip format” to new Upload tab under Administration > Plugins > Add New
- Show absolute date instead of relative date for scheduled posts
- Permalink editor changes and fix for pages
- Autosave post/page when pressing Control/Command+S
- Add toggle all button to the Gallery tab in the uploader
- Support more than one gallery on the same page
- Add per page option to Screen Options for comments, posts, pages, media, categories, and tags
- Show Tools menu for all users so they can access Turbo
- Fix most popular link category list
- Hide email addresses from low privilege users on Administration > Comments
- In upgrade process, provide better explanation for database upgrade message
- Enforce unique email addresses in Add/Edit users
- Hide things that need to be available to screen readers via offscreen positioning
- Use invisible class for hiding labels and legends
- Use a semantic class name for text targeted to screen readers
Download Instructions : Download WordPress 2.8 Beta 1
NOTE : Since it is a beta version you should not try it on your main blog.
Also Read : How To Install A Self Hosted WordPress Blog
Just saw this update on Twitter and seems like wordpress is keeping up its promise by giving the best of feature with every new release.
I will only update to the new version once it is officially released. There might still be bugs and issues that are not working 100%.
Thanks for sharing this info.
I shall update the wordpress only after official release.Thanx for the info simran
ooOOooo!!! Y they update the WP so often. Really its a risky task to upgrade everytime. Very careful procedure and breath taking. Many ppl have claimed to loose everything in upgrading process. No doubts there are some plugins to automate the process and there is a whole topic for instructions relating to that at WP but still, OMG!